Many types off-road vehicles cannot be registered, licensed or insured, including dirt bikes, dune buggies and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) unless they are used for farming or industrial purposes. Off-road vehicles generally don’t meet Canadian safety standards for vehicles that travel on roads and highways so it is illegal for off-road vehicles to travel on a highway or highway right-of-way.
However, some off-road vehicles, when used to cross a road that the public has access to drive on, must be registered, licensed and insured. These vehicles include:
- golf carts
- ATVs (when used for farming or industrial purposes)
Before you can license and insure an ATV used for farming or industrial purposes at any Sussex Insurance location, you must obtain an Operation Permit. This permit states where and when your ATV may cross a road. For more information about Operation Permits, or to get one for your ATV, please contact your local law enforcement agency.
Once you have a permit, you may visit any Sussex Insurance office to register, license, and insure the ATV. Consumers in BC have a choice with respect to insuring their ATV or snowmobile either through ICBC or from another insurer.
In addition to ICBC coverage, Sussex Insurance offers the Open Skies insurance program for snowmobiles, quads and trail bikes. The Open Skies program provides the following:
- Third Party Liability and Physical Damage in one policy, with one application, one expiry date and one adjuster to deal with in the even of a claim
- Coverage extending to anyone user with the owners permission
- No underage exclusion, coverage is provided where not prohibited by law to operate
- No restriction on operating with a passenger
- Up to $25,000 for Sudden & Accidental Pollution as a result of an accident
- Available Accident Benefits for the operator and/r orider
- No mandatory expiry date on liability, it is one year from the effective date
- Liability deductible only applicable to property damage when operated by an unlicensed operator
- All snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles and/or trail bikes insured under one policy with a multi-vehicle discount applicable to all sleds or quads when 4 or more are insured in one policy (does not apply to trail bikes)
- Safety discounts, package discounts and immobilizer discounts available
- Replacement cost at no extra charge for the first 24 months from date of delivery of you snowmobile available
- Up to $1,000 coverage on decks or dedicated trailers for the same coverage on the unit at no extra charge; higher limits available
- Special discounts of 25%-55% for members of the Association of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs (ABCSC), and the ATV/BC Quad Riders Association of British Columbia (ATVBC)
* All coverages are subject to limitations and exclusions. Please speak to a licensed insurance agent, read the policy wordings and the certificate of insurance for definitions, limitations and exclusions.